# Poison Prevention Month


As March marks Poison Prevention Month, we have decided to create a little guide to give our pet owners a little helping hand with a few things that can cause our dogs to feel a little under the weather this spring. From ferocious flowers to Easter treats, here’s everything you need to keep well away from your canine companion, to keep them healthy and happy all spring long.


Dodge those Daffodils


From supermarket shelves to gardens and roadside hedgerows, we cannot escape these beautiful blooms of spring. However, despite their obvious beauty these flowers can be extremely toxic and sometimes fatal to our dogs. Dangerous in both bulb and flowered form, keep these flowers well away from your dog and ensure when walking out and about, they don’t ingest any part of the flower.

Daffodils can have a significant effect on your dog’s digestive system leading to:

· Vomiting

· Diarrhoea

· Excessive Panting

· Shortness of Breath

If you see any of these symptoms in your dog, it is important to seek veterinary assistance immediately.

Run Away from Rhubarb


Both the leaves and fruit of rhubarb are toxic to dogs in their raw form. Leading to gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhoea. Rhubarb tends to bloom just outside the winter months making it rife around springtime.

Although delicious and perfect in our human crumbles, the leaves on the Rhubarb plant can be very toxic to our dogs leading from everything from vomiting to convulsions.


Help with Hot Cross Buns


It surely wouldn’t be Easter without The Hot Cross Bun. Laden with succulent sultanas and raisins, these dried grapes are highly toxic to our furry friends and will require emergency veterinary treatment if consumed.

If you have a few hot cross buns lying around your home this spring, keep them firmly away from your dog’s paws or you could have one poorly pooch needing a costly trip to the vets. Causing severe tummy upset, any raisin or sultana based product should be locked away where no whiskers or paws can reach.


Avoid Chocolate


Even though Easter is a few weeks away, many of us are indulging in a few chocolatey treats. For those of you who love this sugary treat (well…who doesn’t?) and have dogs at home, ensure your secret stash of Easter eggcitment is kept well out of reach from your canine companion.

Containing a harmful chemical known as Theobromine, chocolate can be highly toxic to dogs if indigested in high amounts. It is advised to visit your vet or give them a call if you believe your dog has nibbled their way through one of your chocolate eggs.



So, to ensure your canine friend is happy and healthy, keep an eye out for our hazards this March and keep your pet safe this springtime.




28 views0 comments
 
 
Pet Professional Network Member